Monday, May 17, 2010

Trying to snag a mate in real life...

My friend and I decided to go to a bar to "try to snag a mate in real life". What I mean by this, is getting a guy to talk to me in person instead of online. If you know me, I am very outgoing (in fact, my job is TALKING for a living). However, guys out at bars don't often approach a full figured gal. The most depressing part about it is I have lost about 70 lbs. Truly I am NOT THAT FAT. However, I was approached more frequently at clubs when I was fatter. Here are some theories as to why I am not approached in real life:

Theory 1: It dawns on me that in my fatter days perhaps it was what is pejoratively called "chubby chasers" that took a liking to me. Now I am not INCREDIBLY fat but somewhere in the middle, so to guys that like really fat girls... I am too thin. And to guys that like thin girls... I am not nearly thin enough. Shit.

Theory 2: All guys SECRETLY like full figured gals. However, they are EMBARRASSED about what their friends might think or say. I believe this to be true. I have known some fat girls in real life who said guys have admitted this to them. Pretty cold huh? I also remember a certain male that wouldn't put on facebook that they were in a relationship with me. And I always pick a thin looking default pic so I don't know what the friggen big deal is. But.... I digress.

So anyway. Steph and I went out this past saturday to a bar to see if we could "snag a date in real life". She feels she cannot snag one because she is too tall. I think that is bull, she is GORGEOUS. However, I see her point. Guys like tiny little things. Rude.
Anyway, Steph and I decide to follow all the rules that my friend Tai (a hot young black man however strictly platonic as he lives in NY and *of course* has a girlfriend) gave us.

Rule 1: sit right at the bar in the middle of the action (check!)
Rule 2: wear something sexy but not slutty (check!)
Rule 3: make sure you are laughing and smiling (check!)

About 30 minutes into our first mate snagging session, low and behold, I am approached by an attractive young man. Could it be that easy? Could someone ask for my number 30 minutes into my first mate snagging session?! "Don't I know you from somewhere?" he asks... it turns out that yes, I do know him. We chat for a good 20-30 minutes. He is funny, engaging, smart. He seems genuinely interested... he remembers details about me, he touches my arm a couple of times... this is going well. Or so I think. He then tells me he is going to another bar. Steph and I assume he is going to ask us to accompany us. But he doesn't. In fact, wait... he DIDN'T leave to go to another bar. HE IS RIGHT BEHIND ME! Making out with another chick! All in the span of 5 minutes. We obviously got a good chuckle about that one. No mate that night.
So then we called Tai on our way home. Shit, it turns out I forgot ALL ABOUT Rule #4.

Rule 4: Guys like flirters, not talkers.

I love to talk as I said. But I was not flirting with him. However, if I had only jammed my tongue down his throat like the girl behind me, then shit. I might have been in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment